On 27 August 1914, the Royal Naval Air Service (R.N.A.S.) forwarded the Eastchurch Squadron under the command of
Commander C.R. Samson to Oostende and subsequently to Dunkirk. The Eastchurch Squadron was renamed
No.3 Squadron RNAS on 1 September 1914. The aircraft were based at a temporarily airfield at the North side of the
port of Oostende (Vuurtorenwijk). On this very rare picture taken on that location, one can identify an Astra-Torres
airship, a BE.2A (aircraft N° 50), a Short Biplane (aircraft n° 42) and in the background a Sopwith Tractor.
Jean Pierre Lauwers Collection
Last updated 10/06/12 07:55 Daniel Brackx