Artwork Fernand Van De Plas
Built in 1956 at Fort Worth, Texas, USA, as a deluxe version of the three seat light weight Bell 47
and powered by a single Franklin 6V4-200-C32 6-cylinder piston engine. The Bell 47H was a
greatly improved and enhanced version of the early Bell 47G, the main difference being the metal
monocoque tail boom, which contained a baggage compartment. OO-SHW was the sole example
sold in Europe and one of only 33 built. Originally sold to Sabena Airways in Belgium it was operated
in Antarctica to support a Belgian scientific expedition. The helicopter was eventually written-off after
a forced landing in the UK and is now on display in The Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare (U.K.).
Have a look on their site here.
Last updated 04/08/12 08:45 Daniel Brackx