As very often the case with newly established air arms after the war, the Militair Vliegwezen/Aviation Militaire, was completely organised along the lines of the Royal Air Force and almost exclusively equipped with ex-RAF equipment. Most of the pilot-training and ground-technician courses were still organised in the UK at Bottisham and Snailwell but already in November 1948 the first pilots trained in Belgium received their wings.
In December 1947 the Militair Vliegwezen/Aviation Militaire was equipped with 30 Tiger Moth's, 45
Harvards and 13 Spitfire LF.IX's for instructional purposes, 24 Spitfire F.XIV's and 4 LF.XVI's fighters and 2
Mosquito NF.30 as well as 4 Mosquito T.3 for the night-fighter squadrons in process of being created.
The Evere based transport wing could line up 19 Dakotas, 29 Oxfords, 13
Ansons, 7 Dominies and 5 Proctors, while an Army co-operation unit was equipped with 18 Auster A.O.P.6's.
Last Updated : 06/11/11 16:08 Daniel Brackx